Wednesday, July 13, 2011

News from MCI


By Lisa Braun

Did you hear Elya's news? She recently accepted a position as Residence Life Co-ordinator at Mennonite Collegiate Institute (MCI) in Gretna, MB.

LB: Elya, why are you heading off to Gretna?

EP: I feel like it's a natural next step after my internship at Bethany. I loved being the RD last year, and found it amazing that, essentially, spending time with people can be a job. I learned through things that went well and things that could have gone better more of what it means to be a caregiver and follower of Jesus. I am pumped for this opportunity to put what I've learned into practice at MCI!

LB: What are you expecting in your new role?

EP: I'm not totally sure what to expect. I'm mostly excited, but a decent amount of nervous as well. I'm expecting it to be a challenging year, but a good one. I am excited about the hanging out part, the possibility of helping with drama staff, and being able to spend time with an age group other than peers.

LB: What does a Residence Life Co-ordinator do?

EP: The job involves planning events, which is SO fun for me, and I get to do that and help the RA's do that. I also do a lot of supervision (homework time, extra-curricular activities, regular routines, snack, etc), working with RA's in general, taking care of student needs, being there to listen. Some other things, but those are the basics.

LB: When do you move?

EP: I'm moving at the end of August, and start the 31st. The first thing that happens is a weekend retreat, a professional development event. Students arrive about a week later, so then it's pretty much straight into it!

LB: What kind of team will you be a part of?

EP: There are 4 other residence life staff, two female and two male. The other female besides me is the supervisor, and the two guys have the same position as me.

LB: Anything else?

EP: An interesting tidbit! Bethany Players were there on tour in my first year (2008), and I remember meeting one of the female deans and totally admiring her and the job she was doing. I never thought about this or doing the job there until second semester this year (2011) ....so that's kind of neat.

LB: All the best, Elya! We are very proud of you. Many blessings and much love from all of us at Bethany and in Student Development!

No comments:

Post a Comment