Thursday, February 17, 2011

Featuring Alumnus Phil Wiebe

Name: Phil Wiebe
Hometown: Killarney, Manitoba
Program: Bachelor of Arts in Pastoral Studies 2008; Bachelor in Christian Ministries 2003
Employment Role: Associate Campus Pastor
Employer: South Mountain Community Church, Saint George, Utah, USA
Email: phil.springs@gmail.com

Update:
After a missions trip to Salt Lake City in 2002 with my Bethany class, I landed a position as a youth intern at South Mountain Community Church in Draper, Utah, which is just south of Salt Lake City. The cool thing about Utah is that it is a very different mission field as the Christian population is less then 3% while the Mormon population is well over 80%. The best part of SMCC is that its mission is to reach the Mormon population and around 50% of its growth comes from Mormon converts.

I eventually became the youth pastor there and spent 6 1/2 years blessed by some awesome teenagers. While there, I met and married my wife Melissa and began the greatest adventure of my life!

In 2008, as part of a church merge in which Desert Springs Church -- a church of about 90 people, 300 miles away in St. George, Utah -- joined the SMCC family, I was part of the transaction and was given the opportunity to try something new. I was sent out to Saint George to help the new SMCC campus up its game.

The past 2 1/2 years, SMCC the Springs (new name) has grown to 300 people. God is amazing! In my personal adventure, Melissa and I had a little baby girl named Ella in 2010. She rocks!
Aside from that, I am a part of an organization that is attempting to put a permanent ice rink in Saint George so we can have hockey, and I love driving my jeep whenever I can.

All the best,
Phil


NOTE from LB: I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do more features like this on alumni and current students. If you want to be featured, or you would like to recommend someone, drop me a note at lbraun@bethany.sk.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment